Cherry Walnut Yeast Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 to 2-1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. Combine cherries and water in a bowl; let stand for 10 minutes. Drain, reserving juice; set cherries aside. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup bread flour, whole wheat flour, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, combine the milk, syrup, butter and reserved cherry liquid; heat to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened.
- 2. Add egg; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough (dough will be slightly sticky). Beat for 2 minutes. Stir in walnuts and cherries. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a 7-in. round loaf. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 slice: 193 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Cherry Walnut Yeast Bread
"Loved it!! Used craisins and pecans."