- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 to 2-1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine cherries and water in a bowl; let stand for 10 minutes. Drain, reserving juice; set cherries aside. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup bread flour, whole wheat flour, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, combine the milk, syrup, butter and reserved cherry liquid; heat to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened.
- Add egg; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough (dough will be slightly sticky). Beat for 2 minutes. Stir in walnuts and cherries. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a 7-in. round loaf. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Cherry Walnut Yeast Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p57
Reviews for Cherry Walnut Yeast Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 20, 2012
"Loved it!! Used craisins and pecans."