Cherry Walnut Yeast Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 to 2-1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine cherries and water in a bowl; let stand for 10 minutes. Drain, reserving juice; set cherries aside. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup bread flour, whole wheat flour, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, combine the milk, syrup, butter and reserved cherry liquid; heat to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened.
- Add egg; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough (dough will be slightly sticky). Beat for 2 minutes. Stir in walnuts and cherries. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a 7-in. round loaf. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Cherry Walnut Yeast Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p57
Reviews for Cherry Walnut Yeast Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 20, 2012
Loved it!! Used craisins and pecans.