I call these my “naughty but nice” bars. Packed with dried cherries, white chocolate chips and chopped walnuts, they’re indulgent and oh-so-good! —Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 cups chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup white baking chips
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugars and extract until light and fluffy. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Press onto the bottom of an ungreased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, cream and salt. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 4 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in 2-1/2 cups walnuts, cherries and vanilla; spread over crust. Bake 15-20 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with baking chips and remaining walnuts; lightly press into filling. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Cherry Walnut Squares in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2011, p62
Reviews for Cherry Walnut Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 6, 2012
"I used dried cranberries since I had no dried cherries, plus I used gluten free flour in the crust. It was delicious!! I'll definitely make it again"