Cherry-Walnut Cake Roll Recipe
Fit for a festive occasion, this fruity old-world cake roll is simply luscious.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup cherry brandy
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Melted semisweet chocolate, optional
- 1. Combine cherries and cherry brandy: cover and let stand overnight.
- 2. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- 3. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 2 tablespoons sugar, beating on high speed until thick and lemon-colored, about 5 minutes. Beat in oil, vanilla and lemon extract.
- 4. With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form; fold into yolk mixture. Combine flour, walnuts, cinnamon and baking powder; gradually fold into egg mixture. Spread into prepared pan.
- 5. Bake 10-12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool 2 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 6. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in confectioners' sugar. Fold in whipped cream. Unroll cake; spread with 1-1/4 cups filling to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- 7. Drain cherries and pat dry with paper towels. Arrange cherries over filling. Starting at the short side, roll up cake; place seam side down on a serving platter. Frost cake with remaining filling. Drizzle with melted chocolate if desired. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice (calculated without chocolate): 335 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 133mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Cherry-Walnut Cake Roll
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC