Cherry Upside-Down Cake Recipe
“As a home ec teacher, I used this recipe to demonstrate simple cake and sauce making. The kids loved it—just as my family always has.” —Dorothy Erickson, Blue Eye, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:8 servings
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 5 to 8 drops food coloring, optional
- 1. Drain cherries, reserving liquid in a 1-cup measuring cup. Add enough water to measure 1 cup; set aside for sauce.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the cherries, sugar and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Pour into a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- 3. For cake, in a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Spread over cherry mixture.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
- 5. For sauce, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually add reserved cherry juice mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in food coloring if desired. Serve with warm cake. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice with 2 tablespoons sauce equals 258 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 151 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC