Cherry Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 5 to 8 drops food coloring, optional
- 1. Drain cherries, reserving liquid in a 1-cup measuring cup. Add enough water to measure 1 cup; set aside for sauce.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the cherries, sugar and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Pour into a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- 3. For cake, in a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Spread over cherry mixture.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
- 5. For sauce, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually add reserved cherry juice mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in food coloring if desired. Serve with warm cake. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice with 2 tablespoons sauce equals 258 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 151 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Cherry Upside-Down Cake
"I also noticed the batter was a little thick, but didn't have much trouble spreading it over the cherries. Plus, it doesn't matter if you get the cake all the way to the edges of the pan - it will be fine. The only thing I would do differently would be to let it set a little longer than the 10 minutes recommended before turning out of the pan - 15 or 20 would be better I think. Otherwise it was a GREAT recipe! My dad and brother ate pretty much the whole thing in one night! Will definitely be making this again!"
"Yes the batter is thick but you can carefully spread it over the cherries. Mine backed within the time given. It is yummy and I will definitely fix it again."
"batter is very thick. needed more liquids.took more than time set to cook. will try some different fruit next time."