- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine cherries and sugar. Mash slightly; let stand for 15-20 minutes. Stir in cornstarch until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cinnamon. Cool.
- Divide dough into eight portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion into a 5-in. circle. Place about 3 tablespoons cherry mixture on one side of each circle; fold dough over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal. Prick tops with a fork.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the confectioner's sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over warm turnovers. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Cherry Turnovers
"Hi Sandyko,You could certainly give puff pastry a try. The pastry with these is a bit more like pie crust, so still a nice flaky crust.Good luck!Sue StetzelOnline Community Manager"
"I haven't made this recipe yet--but could I use puff pastry dough (rolled out a little to reduce puffing)? The cherry turnovers I buy always are in puff pastry, and I love the flaky dough."
"Yes, a fair amount of work but totally worth the work for the result we obtained. For the adults, try adding Meyer's Rum or Yukon Jack liqueur in place of vanilla in the glaze. Delicious!"
"Not worth the work."
"These were terrific! Just the right amount of sugar to use - particularly with Bing and/or overripe cherries. Delicious Summer treat!"