- 2-2/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine cherries and sugar. Mash slightly; let stand for 15-20 minutes. Stir in cornstarch until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cinnamon. Cool.
- Divide dough into eight portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion into a 5-in. circle. Place about 3 tablespoons cherry mixture on one side of each circle; fold dough over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal. Prick tops with a fork.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the confectioner's sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over warm turnovers. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Cherry Turnovers(4)
Sort By :
These were terrific! Just the right amount of sugar to use - particularly with Bing and/or overripe cherries. Delicious Summer treat!
These turnovers are worth the little bit of extra work! This is the best turnover recipe I have tried!
my family loved this i made a few changes but other then that they couldn't keep there hands off of it. It's a great dessert for all age groups
These turnovers were a bit of work, but everyone agreed they were worth it. The filling had a great flavor, and the crust was good too, though I think added a bit more water to the dough (I'm no crust expert, unfortunately.)
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cherry Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- July 4th Desserts >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Kids Desserts >
- Labor Day Desserts >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Memorial Day Desserts >