"I wanted to make a dessert that was light, refreshing and simple," shares Margo Seergrist of Shelton, Washington. "The chocolate syrup in this tempting trifle is a sweet surprise, and everyone loves the topping of toasted coconut and almonds."
12-15 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2-1/4 cups cold whole milk, divided
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 envelope whipped topping mix (Dream Whip)
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces)
- 2 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 3/4 cup chocolate syrup
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine 1-3/4 cups of milk and pudding mix. Beat on
- low speed for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- In another large bowl, beat the whipped topping mix, vanilla and
- remaining milk until stiff peaks form.
- Cut cake into 1/2-in. cubes; place half in a 3-qt. glass bowl.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cherry juice. Top with half of the pie
- filling, half of the pudding and 1/4 cup of chocolate syrup. Repeat
- layers. Top with whipped topping and remaining syrup. Sprinkle with
- coconut and almonds. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Yield: 12-15 servings.