- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Halved red and green candied cherries, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, butter, egg, salt and 3-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place cherries in a bowl; add boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain and squeeze out excess water. In another bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Add cherries; toss to coat.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 15-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Sprinkle with filling. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring.
- With scissors, cut from outside edge to two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling to show. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Combine the glaze ingredients; drizzle over tea ring. Decorate with candied cherries if desired. Yield: 1 ring (16 slices).
Originally published as Cherry Tea Ring in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2008, p38
Reviews for Cherry Tea Ring
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review