- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, butter, shortening, extracts, baking powder and eggs. Beat on low speed until blended; beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in flour.
- Spread two-thirds of the batter into a greased 15-1/2-in. x 10-1/2-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Spread pie filling over batter; drop remaining batter by tablespoonful over filling. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden. Combine the confectioners' sugar and milk; drizzle over coffee cake. Serve warm. Yield: 18-20 servings.
Reviews for Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake
"Very tasty! I halved the recipe but still used a whole can of cherry pie filling."
"Just like Mom used to make! I made a couple of changes to the recipe. First, I used a 13x9x2 and didn't use all the batter (to adjust for pan size). Secondly I used a can of pie filling that contained "extra" cherries. This was a delicious coffee cake and I am adding it to my family's favorites :)"
"I thought it was a bit dry. Maybe I baked it too long, when I looked at it at 40 min. it was still pretty pale. I think I would like it with 2 cans of pie filling."
"Been making this since it came out in TOH magazine years ago. Easy to make and is very good 5 stars"