I started cooking at age 13 when my brother, sister and I moved from an orphanage into a house with 13 rooms and 10 people. My sister and I became the household cooks. To this day, I like to cook but hate washing the dishes!
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, butter, shortening, extracts, baking powder and eggs. Beat on low speed until blended; beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in flour.
- Spread two-thirds of the batter into a greased 15-1/2-in. x 10-1/2-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Spread pie filling over batter; drop remaining batter by tablespoonful over filling. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden. Combine the confectioners' sugar and milk; drizzle over coffee cake. Serve warm. Yield: 18-20 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake in Country Extra May 1992, p49
Reviews for Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review