This impressive-looking cake elicits oohs and ahhs whenever it appears on the table. Use peppermint extract in place of cherry extract if you desire.
- 8 egg whites
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons cherry extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 drops red food coloring
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cherry extract
- 12 drops red food coloring
- Crushed cherry hard candies, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in another bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk the egg yolks, water, oil and extract; add to dry ingredients. Beat until well blended.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Remove a third of the batter to a small bowl; tint pink with red food coloring. Alternately spoon plain and pink batters into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to swirl.
- Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- For frosting, in a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg whites, corn syrup, water and cream of tartar over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes. Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer; add extracts. Beat on high until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Frost top and sides of cake. Add drops of food coloring to frosting at base of cake; with a spatula, blend color up toward top of cake. Sprinkle with candies if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cherry-Swirl Chiffon Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p69
Reviews for Cherry-Swirl Chiffon Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review