- the heat; set aside (do not drain).
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, celery, parsley, carrot, sage
- and rosemary in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute
- longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the croutons, broth, 1/4
- teaspoon pepper, nutmeg, extract and cherries. Let stand until
- liquid is absorbed.
- Cut a lengthwise slit down the center of the roast to within 1/2 in.
- of bottom. Open roast so it lies flat; cover with plastic wrap.
- Flatten to 3/4-in. thickness. Remove plastic; spread stuffing over
- meat to within 1 in. of edges. Close roast; tie several times with
- kitchen string and secure ends with toothpicks. Place fat side up on
- a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle with remaining pepper.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a
- thermometer reads 145°. Let meat stand for 10 minutes before
- Meanwhile, add broth and water to roasting pan; stir to loosen
- browned bits. Pour into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over
- medium-high heat; cook until reduced by half. Stir in cream and
- rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until
- thickened. Serve with roast. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 272 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 328 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer