Cherry Streusel Square
I don't think food should take longer to make than it does to eat, so I love these time-saving bar cookies. At Christmas, I like to use red and green cherries.
48 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup finely chopped candied or maraschino cherries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in extracts. Gradually add flour. Stir in pecans and cherries.
- Spread into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until
- mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add pecans. Sprinkle over dough.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until very light brown. Cool
- on a wire rack. Cut into 1-1/2-in. squares. Yield: 4 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 125 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 56 mg sodium,