Cherry Streusel Bars Recipe
Ellen Borst writes from Park Falls, Wisconsin,"I combined my grandmother's apple crisp topping with a traditional cherry pie recipe to come up with these flavorful bars."
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. In another bowl, whisk the egg, water and vinegar. stir into flour mixture with a fork until a soft ball forms.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until firm and dry to the touch.
- 3. Meanwhile, combine pie filling and orange peel; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and remaining flour; cut in butter until crumbly.
- 4. Spread cherry mixture over crust. Sprinkle with crumb mixture. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before cutting. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 227 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Cherry Streusel Bars
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC