Cherry Spice Cake Recipe
At least four generations of women in my family have been baking this Cherry Spice Cake. It's always my mom's pick for her birthday. I like to use cream cheese frosting, but when my mother was growing up, my grandma frosted the cake with butter cream.Laurie Sanders, Manchester, Michigan
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons water
- 2 to 3 drops red food coloring, optional
- Additional chopped pecans, optional
- Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper. Grease and flour the pans and paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in cherries and pecans.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and enough water to achieve spreading consistency. Tint with food coloring if desired. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Garnish with additional pecans. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Spice Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p124
Reviews for Cherry Spice Cake(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 4, 2013
Everyone really enjoyed this cake. I was surprised that the cherries and spices went together so well.