My grandmother had talked about her cherry soup recipe for years, so when I received some of our state's famous Door County cherries, I just had to try it. My family liked it so well that I froze several quarts so we could enjoy it all winter!
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 4 cups fresh, frozen or canned red tart pitted cherries
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 to 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Dash salt
- 1 cup milk
- In large saucepan, place the cherries, water, sugar and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes or until cherries until tender.
- Adjust sugar, if necessary, depending on tartness of cherries.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir in
- milk. Drop by teaspoonfuls into boiling soup. Cover and cook for
- 10-15 minutes or until dumplings are fluffy. Serve immediately.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 196 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 136 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.