- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 36 maraschino cherries, well drained
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in water and vanilla. Combine flour, oats and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape a tablespoonful of dough around each cherry, forming a ball. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until bottoms are browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve smooth dipping consistency. Dip cookies, then roll in coconut. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Cherry Snowballs
"These are delicious & pretty. I use cherry juice instead of milk for the glaze so it's pink & only dip the top of the cookies so they don't get too messy & are more easily stored."
"Made these for the second year in a row for a Christmas Open House at my job. A big hit. Takes time to make but worth it in the end."
"Very easy to make. Very tasty too. A real treat for the holidays and the winter season too."
"I love anything with maraschino cherries. How do you store these cookies? Room temperature or refrigerate?"