Cherry Snowballs Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 36 maraschino cherries, well drained
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups flaked coconut, finely chopped
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in water and vanilla. Combine flour, oats and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape a tablespoonful of dough around each cherry, forming a ball. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until bottoms are browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve smooth dipping consistency. Dip cookies, then roll in coconut. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: 3 dozen.
2 each: 296 calories, 14g fat (10g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Cherry Snowballs
"These are always on my family's holiday cookie tray, but we omit the oatmeal and use extra flour. We prefer the texture without the oats. Another fun addition is to use green maraschino cherries in half of the cookies to create a surprise center."
"These are delicious & pretty. I use cherry juice instead of milk for the glaze so it's pink & only dip the top of the cookies so they don't get too messy & are more easily stored."
"Easy to make & not too sweet. This recipe is a Christmas baking keeper."
"Made these for the second year in a row for a Christmas Open House at my job. A big hit. Takes time to make but worth it in the end."
"Very easy to make. Very tasty too. A real treat for the holidays and the winter season too."
"I love anything with maraschino cherries. How do you store these cookies? Room temperature or refrigerate?"