Cherry Snowballs Recipe
A juicy maraschino cherry is the pleasant surprise tucked inside these unique cookies. My mother clipped this recipe out of the newspaper more than 30 years ago.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 36 maraschino cherries, well drained
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups flaked coconut, finely chopped
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in water and vanilla. Combine flour, oats and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape a tablespoonful of dough around each cherry, forming a ball. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until bottoms are browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve smooth dipping consistency. Dip cookies, then roll in coconut. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: 3 dozen.
2 cookies equals 296 calories, 14 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 198 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC