“This recipe for heart-shaped cookies is one of the tastiest I’ve tried,” writes Elaine Anderson from Aliquippa, Pennsylvania. “Folks always “ooh” and “aah” over the buttery taste combined with chocolate. These make great Valentine’s Day gifts wrapped up in cellophane and ribbon.”
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, patted dry and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in the cherries, water and extract until dough forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip half of each cookie into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper until set. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Cherry Shortbread Hearts in Simple & Delicious January/February 2007, p15
Reviews for Cherry Shortbread Hearts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review