Served warm, this cherry sauce makes a wonderful topping for sponge cake, pound cake or ice cream. You could also try it as a filling for crepes or blintzes.
Featured In: 20 Recipes with Fresh Cherries
- 1 can (16 ounces) pitted tart red cherries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Few drops red food coloring, optional
- Sponge cake, pound cake or ice cream
- Drain cherries, reserving juice. Set cherries aside. Add enough water to juice to equal 1-1/4 cups. In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter, vanilla, cherries and food coloring if desired. Serve warm over cake or ice cream. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Sauce in Country Woman March/April 1992, p35
Reviews for Cherry Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review