- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened, divided
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry or strawberry pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1-1/2 cups cold milk
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, pecans and a third of the cream cheese. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Refrigerate for 30 minutes; spread with pie filling. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and remaining cream cheese. Fold in half of whipped topping; spread over pie filling. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk the milk, extract and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Pour over top; refrigerate for 30 minutes. Spread with the remaining whipped topping; sprinkle with coconut. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Rice Dessert in Taste of Home December/January 1998, p45
Reviews for Cherry Rice Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 2, 2012
"I made this for a family dinner and it was a hit. the rice is a surprising and delightful twist. Not a fan of flaked coconut, so skipped it. Used raspberry pie filling. So good and light."