Cherry Rhubarb Coffee Cake Recipe
- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 can (20 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a large saucepan, cook rhubarb and lemon juice over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning. Combine sugar and cornstarch; add to rhubarb mixture. Cook and stir 5 minutes more until thickened and bubbly. Stir in pie filling; set aside to cool.
- For cake, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. In a small bowl, beat the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Spread a little more than half of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan Spread cooled filling over batter. Drop remaining batter by teaspoonfuls onto filling.
- For topping, combine sugar and flour. Cut in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews for Cherry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Sort By :
"Made this for Memorial Day grill out with family. All loved it."
"Great recipe. Crunchy topping, gooey delicious cherry/rhubarb filling. It seemed more like a cobbler than a coffee cake. (Not that that's a bad thing!?) When I make it next time, I'm going to cut the filling in half; there was plenty...enough to run over the pan when baking. Cutting the filling in half would not ruin this recipe; it would still be great from cake to filling to topping. Try it!"
"Made many times - always rave reviews. Last time I ran out of flour so I used bread flour and it was even better!"
"I LOVE this recipe.It's huge so I divided the sauce between a 9" springform pan & 9x13 pan. My family & neighbors love it as well"