When sour cherries and red raspberries are in season, I always freeze some with this recipe in mind. I've been making jams and jellies for years, and friends and family agree this is the best I make.
48 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Process: 5 min.
- 2-1/2 cups finely chopped or ground sour cherries (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups red raspberries
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 5 cups sugar
- In a Dutch oven, combine cherries and raspberries; stir in pectin.
- Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil. Boil and stir 1
- minute. Immediately stir in thyme.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Ladle hot mixture into eight hot
- sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Wipe rims.
- Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are
- completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 5
- minutes. Remove jars and cool.
- Yield: 8 half-pints.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 93 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.