- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Additional coconut, optional
- Drain and chop cherries, reserving juice; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine milk and 1/4 cup reserved cherry juice; add to creamed mixture alternately with flour, beating well after each addition. Fold in 1/2 cup cherries.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough reserved cherry juice to achieve spreading consistency. Fold in coconut and remaining chopped cherries. Frost cake. Sprinkle with walnuts and additional coconut if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cherry Pound Cake
"I love this cake. I took the past reviewer advice to use almond extract. I also add a few drops of red food color to the batter. This cake is excellent."
"Substituted almond for the vanilla, replaced the shortening w/butter, added additional cherries dusted w/some of the flour. Did not frost, just dusted w/icing sugar. Really, really good!"
"Fantastic and showy cake..the best ever!!!"
"I used almond instead of vanilla and more cherries than called for and this cake was delicious! Moist and dense, just like pound cake should be!"
"I think this cake was awesome. It was easy to make and it didn't cost alot to make. The moisture of the cake was great and it tasted wonderful."