Here's a rich classic pound cake with the pretty surprise of bright red cherries tucked inside and dotting the creamy icing. This one's perfect for the holidays.
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Additional coconut, optional
- Drain and chop cherries, reserving juice; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine milk and 1/4 cup reserved cherry juice; add to creamed mixture alternately with flour, beating well after each addition. Fold in 1/2 cup cherries.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough reserved cherry juice to achieve spreading consistency. Fold in coconut and remaining chopped cherries. Frost cake. Sprinkle with walnuts and additional coconut if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Pound Cake in Country Woman December/January 2011, p46
Reviews for Cherry Pound Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review