Cherry Pinwheels Recipe
When you need an elegant yet easy dessert to serve company, give these pretty pinwheels from our Test Kitchen. Garnish with whipped cream and fresh mint for an attractive presentation.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 can (16 ounces) pitted dark sweet cherries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Drain cherries, reserving juice. If necessary, add enough water to juice to measure 3/4 cup. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; whisk in juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Set aside 16 cherries. Cut remaining cherries in half and add to sauce; set aside.
- 2. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; cut into six 4-in. squares. Discard trimmings. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent drying out.) On a baking sheet, layer phyllo squares, brushing with butter between each. Cut diagonally through dough from each corner 1-1/2 in. toward the center. Place a whole cherry between each cut; fold alternating points over cherries and toward the center. Brush with butter. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets, cherries and butter.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 8-9 minutes or until golden brown. Serve over cherry sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
1 pinwheel equals 184 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 107 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC