Cherry Pinwheel Cookies Recipe
A crisp, light textured cookie with a mild cherry flavor will add great color to your holiday cookie tray.—Jenn Reagan, Maple Valley, Washington
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 white egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cherry extract or cherry brandy
- Red paste food coloring
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- Coarse sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour.
- 2. Divide dough in half. Add extract to one half and tint red. Knead almonds into remaining half. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 3 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- 3. On a baking sheet, roll each portion between two sheets of waxed paper into a 15x8-in. rectangle. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 4. Remove waxed paper. Place almond rectangle on top of cherry rectangle. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Roll in coarse sugar; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- 5. Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Cherry Pinwheel Cookies
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC