Cherry Pineapple Salad Recipe
This recipe makes a really pretty salad. My sister-in-law often brings it to our family get-togethers on holidays and special occasions. —Leona Luecking, West Burlington, Iowa
- 3 packages (3 ounces each) cherry gelatin
- 2-1/3 cups boiling water
- 2 cans (16-1/2 ounces each) pitted dark sweet cherries
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in water. Drain fruits, reserving enough cherry and pineapple juices to measure 2-1/2 cups; add to gelatin with lemon juice. Set fruits aside.
- 2. Divide gelatin mixture in half. Set aside one portion of gelatin at room temperature; chill the other portion until partially set. Fold pineapple into chilled gelatin; pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Chill until almost firm.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat the cream, mayonnaise, cream cheese and salt until light and fluffy. Spread over chilled gelatin layer. Refrigerate until firm. Chill reserved gelatin mixture until partially set. Fold in cherries and nuts; spread over cream cheese layer. Chill for at least 3 hours. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 151 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 65 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC