Cherry Pie Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) tart cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Red food coloring, optional
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half. Roll out one portion. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge.
- 2. Drain cherries, reserving 1/4 cup juice. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, tapioca, extract, salt, food coloring if desired and reserved juice. Gently stir in the cherries; let stand for 15 minutes.
- 3. Pour into the crust. Dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Seal and flute edges. Bake at 375° for 55-60 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 363 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Cherry Pie
"My first cherry pie and ur was amazing!! Couldn't find 2 cans of tart cherries so I used 1 can tart cherries (last can in the store) and dark pitted sweet cherries. Cut the sugar by half, mix the juices together n reserved 1/4 cup as directed n it was delicious!!! Make sure u put the pie on a sheet pan, mine bubbled n dripped everywhere"
"Very good and easy to make. I use a package of refrigerated pie crusts instead of making the pastry."
"My husband had a slice of this pie tonight. He rated it 'very good'. It is easy to make and sets nicely."
"GREAT pie! I HAVE MADE THIS A BUNCH OF TIMES AND IT ALWAYS GETS RAVE REVIEWS!!!"
"Easiest pie ever, definitely a keeper"
"an OUTSTANDING pie. everyone just raved about it and it was very easy to make. I did make my own pie crust from another recipe though. The filling didn't run out when it was cut and tasted awesome. I reduced the sugar drastically, only adding maybe 1/4 cup since making it for a diabetic and it was great. Made this 2 more times!"
"wow! this is so good"
"I have never baked a pie in my life. I am on my 3rd round of pies this week. This time, instead of cherries, bluberries! I use Novella instead of sugar. Turns out GREAT!"
"This is great. My Dad can be picky about his pies and he adored it. I had frozen cherries on hand so I thawed and used those. The pie came out terrific and gosh it was pretty while it lasted :)"
"I thought this receipe for Cherry pie has and excellent taste and is easy to make. I will add this receipe to my collection as one of my favorites. My Family loved it!"
"Delicious. I used cherries picked from our own tree."