Cherry Pie Chimis
“In New Mexico, we love to make these yummy fried pies for dessert. Because they call for flour tortillas and convenient canned pie filling, they’re a snap to put together when time is short.” —Terry Dominguez, Silver City, New Mexico
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 6 flour tortillas (10 inches)
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- Spoon pie filling down the center of each tortilla; fold sides and
- ends over filling and roll up. Seal with toothpicks.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry
- chimichangas, a few at a time, for 2 minutes on each side or until
- golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Dust with
- confectioners’ sugar. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 chimi equals 686 calories, 32 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 429 mg sodium, 87 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 7 g protein.