- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) tart cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Red food coloring, optional
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half. Roll out one portion. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge.
- Drain cherries, reserving 1/4 cup juice. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, tapioca, extract, salt, food coloring if desired and reserved juice. Gently stir in the cherries; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Pour into the crust. Dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Seal and flute edges. Bake at 375° for 55-60 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Cherry Pie
"My first cherry pie and ur was amazing!! Couldn't find 2 cans of tart cherries so I used 1 can tart cherries (last can in the store) and dark pitted sweet cherries. Cut the sugar by half, mix the juices together n reserved 1/4 cup as directed n it was delicious!!! Make sure u put the pie on a sheet pan, mine bubbled n dripped everywhere"
"Very good and easy to make. I use a package of refrigerated pie crusts instead of making the pastry."
"My husband had a slice of this pie tonight. He rated it 'very good'."
"GREAT PIE! I HAVE MADE THIS A BUNCH OF TIMES AND IT ALWAYS GETS RAVE REVIEWS!!!"
"Easiest pie ever, definitely a keeper"
"an OUTSTANDING pie. everyone just raved about it and it was very easy to make. I did make my own pie crust from another recipe though. The filling didn't run out when it was cut and tasted awesome. I reduced the sugar drastically, only adding maybe 1/4 cup since making it for a diabetic and it was great. Made this 2 more times!"
"This was the BEST cherry pie I've tasted. The filling didn't run out when you cut it. I only used about a tablespoon of sugar and it was great, sweet but not too sweet. Great pie for a diabetic too!"
"wow! this is so good"
"This is the easiest, and the best cherry pie I have ever made. My husband, who is a cherry pie expert, says this is the only one I should make!"
"I have never baked a pie in my life. I am on my 3rd round of pies this week. This time, instead of cherries, bluberries! I use Novella instead of sugar. Turns out GREAT!"