Cherry Pecan Torte
Field editor Dolores Lueken of Ferdinand, Indiana says, "Soda crackers are the 'secret ingredient' in this meringue.
12-15 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups saltine crumbs
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Beat in cream of tartar.
- Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until
- stiff peaks form. Fold in crumbs, pecans and vanilla.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for
- 25 minutes. Cool completely. Spread whipped cream over top. Spoon
- pie filling over cream. Chill for at least 1 hour. Yield: 12-15
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 341 calories, 17 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 145 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.