Cherry Pecan Coffee Cake Recipe
Take heart! This impressive heart-shaped coffee cake is not that tricky to make. The tender golden bread is filled with maraschino cherries, pecans and sweet dried apricots, then drizzled with a yummy icing. —Linda Pauls Buhler, Kansas
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/3 cup water
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 1 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Confectioners' sugar icing
- 1. In a bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast. In a saucepan, heat sour cream, water and 4 tablespoons butter to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours. Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 24-in. x 7-in. rectangle. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough.
- 3. Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle over dough. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Carefully shape each roll into a 26-in. rope. Place each rope, seam side down, on a greased baking sheet. Pinch ends together to form a ring. Shape into a heart if desired.
- 4. With scissors, cut from outside edge two-thirds of the way toward center of heart or ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate pieces; slightly twist to show filling.
- 5. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 25-27 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Drizzle with icing. Yield: 2 coffee cakes.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 215 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 191 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC