Cherry Pecan Bread
I've used this recipe for nearly 30 years, and it's always a success," declares Mary Weeks. "Not only is it easy to prepare, but it freezes well, so I usually have an extra loaf on hand," writes the Central, South Carolina baker.
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 1 cup Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and buttermilk. Combine
- the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture just until
- blended. Fold in the cherries and pecans. Transfer to a greased
- 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 244 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 271 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.