Two of my family's favorite fruits appear in this splendid pie with a nutty streusel topping. I like to serve slices with cherry-vanilla frozen yogurt.—Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 6 cups sliced peeled fresh pears (about 5 large)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- In a large bowl, toss pears and cherries with lemon juice and extract. In a small bowl, mix sugar and cornstarch; add to pear mixture, tossing to coat. Transfer to pastry-lined pie plate.
- For topping, in a small bowl, mix flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in almonds. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Pear Pie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2009, p151
Reviews for Cherry Pear Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review