Cherry Pear Mincemeat Recipe
Subscriber Brenda Wood, Egbert, Ontario, says that her favorite cherry recipe (below) can be prepared during cherry season, then frozen for later use in pies, tarts and cookies. She even serves it as ice cream topping!
- 6 cups pitted tart red cherries
- 6 cups ripe pears, coarsely chopped
- 2 pounds raisins
- 1 medium lemon, juiced
- 1 medium orange, juiced
- Grated peel of lemon
- Grated peel of orange
- 5 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large kettle, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until mixture is thickened, about 2-1/2 hours. Stir frequently while simmering. Chill. Yield: about 3 quarts.
Originally published as Cherry Pear Mincemeat in Country Woman March/April 1992, p36
Reviews for Cherry Pear Mincemeat(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review