Cherry Peanut Butter Balls Recipe
Years ago, I saved this festive recipe and made it only at Christmastime. But my grandkids loved the sweet combination of peanut butter, chocolate and cherries so much that now I mix up a batch anytime they ask or visit!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 24 to 26 maraschino cherries with stems
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1. In a small bowl, beat the butter and peanut butter until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add confectioners' sugar and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 2. Pat cherries dry with paper towel. Dust hands with additional confectioners' sugar. Wrap each cherry with a rounded tablespoon full of peanut butter mixture; shape into a ball. (Peanut butter mixture may need to be refrigerated occasionally while rolling cherries.) Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 3. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip peanut butter balls in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until set. Yield: about 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 233 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 90 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC