- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 24 to 26 maraschino cherries with stems
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup shortening
- In a small bowl, beat the butter and peanut butter until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add confectioners' sugar and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Pat cherries dry with paper towel. Dust hands with additional confectioners' sugar. Wrap each cherry with a rounded tablespoon full of peanut butter mixture; shape into a ball. (Peanut butter mixture may need to be refrigerated occasionally while rolling cherries.) Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip peanut butter balls in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until set. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Cherry Peanut Butter Balls
"I HATE making these, but everyone loves them... so I do every year. I always have leftover peanut butter mixture, which I will roll in balls and dip on their own - perfect for those people, like myself, who don't like maraschino cherries. These dress up a Christmas dainty tray very nicely!"
"Yummy. Yummy. Yummy!!!"
"Finally made this recipe and must say, not only are they easy and fun and attractive, they are absolutely delicious. I didn't use a full TBSP of peanut butter mixture for each ball and they were still fully coated and yielded about 3 1/2 dozen. Everyone who tried them raved about them. Definitely will make them again SOON!!!"
"i made a bigger batch increasing all ingredients 4 times and made 100. using 8 cups of choc chips and 1 cup of shortening i had more melted choc left over. had stemless cherries so used toothpicks to dip balls into chocolate and covered up the toothpick hole with melted choc. great tasting and my family and friends just loved them this xmas"
"Scrumptious little morsels of goodness! These get a "WOW" on my list of favorites!"