Cherry Oat Bars Recipe
The addition of dried cherries and cherry preserves make these homemade granola bars a hit with all who try them. Each bar provides both a sweet pick-me-up and lasting energy. —Kevin Johnson, Glendora, California
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 jar (12 ounces) cherry preserves
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. In another bowl, combine the butter, honey, eggs and vanilla. Stir into oat mixture until combined. Set aside 1-1/3 cups for topping.
- 2. Press remaining oat mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Combine preserves and dried cherries; spread over crust. Sprinkle with coconut and reserved oat mixture; press down lightly.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 bar equals 268 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 218 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC