Cherry Oat Bars Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 jar (12 ounces) cherry preserves
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. In another bowl, combine the butter, honey, eggs and vanilla. Stir into oat mixture until combined. Set aside 1-1/3 cups for topping.
- 2. Press remaining oat mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Combine preserves and dried cherries; spread over crust. Sprinkle with coconut and reserved oat mixture; press down lightly.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 bar: 268 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Cherry Oat Bars
"I used walnuts instead of pecans, ground flax seed instead of wheat germ, and instead of 1 cup butter I used 1/2 cup butter & 1/2 cup coconut oil melted for a more healthful bar. Next time I will reduce the butter/ oil to 3/4 cup as I think 1 cup fat was overkill. These were delicious!"
"I had to use gluten free flour;did not know where the toasted wheat germ was; did not want to spend the money on nuts; did not use the spices, and used homemade strawberry jam instead of the cherry preserves....and liked this a lot! Mine came out more cake-y than you probably intended!, but it's great in the morning with hot chocolate or a glass of milk!! Thank you!"