Cherry Nut Ice Cream Recipe
- 6 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 cups fresh or frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed and cut into quarters
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 milk chocolate candy bar (7 ounces), chopped
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat cream over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of saucepan; stir in sugar and salt until dissolved.
- 2. Whisk a small amount of the cream into the egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook over low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- 3. Cool quickly by placing bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in extract. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 4. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate any remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) In each batch stir cherries, coconut, almonds and chocolate into the ice cream just until combined. Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 682 calories, 57 g fat (34 g saturated fat), 220 mg cholesterol, 106 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Cherry Nut Ice Cream
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.