Cherry Nut Crisp Recipe
Meet the Cook: I used my favorite cherry pie recipe to create this one after my fiance - who's now my husband - asked me to make a treat for his rugby team's meeting. Since I didn't have time to roll out a crust, I just used a simple crisp crust. -Melissa Radulovich, Byers, Colorado
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) pitted tart cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 5 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- Drain cherries, reserving 3/4 cup juice. In a large bowl, combine the cherries, sugar, tapioca, extract, salt, food coloring if desired and reserved juice; set aside for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine the crust ingredients. Press onto the bottom and 1 in. up the sides of a greased 9-in. square baking dish; set aside.
- For topping, in another small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, pecans and oats Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir cherry mixture the; pour into crust. Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°; bake 30-35 minutes longer or filling is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Nut Crisp in Country Woman March/April 1999, p29
Reviews for Cherry Nut Crisp(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review