Cherry Nut Breakfast Rolls Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110°-115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 cups fresh or frozen pitted tart red cherries, chopped
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cups finely chopped almonds
- Few drops red food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 to 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in butter, sugar, eggs, salt and 3 cups flour. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours. Meanwhile, combine all filling ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to boil; reduce heat and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Cool. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out to make a 14-in. x 16-in. rectangle. Spread with filling. Roll up, jelly roll-style, beginning with the long end. Cut into 12 slices. Place, cut side down, on a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, for about 25 minutes. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan; cool slightly. Combine all icing ingredients; drizzle over warm rolls. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 rolls.
1 serving (1 each) equals 403 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 196 mg sodium, 68 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Reviews for Cherry Nut Breakfast Rolls
"I received a Champion at Bake Off with this recipe. It is easy and the dough rises like a dream following the recipe to the tee. I love to bake and after 40 years, my husband says these were the best yeast rolls he's ever eaten. I knew the minute they came out of the oven, they were a winner!!"