Cherry Nut Bread Recipe
Chopped pecans and maraschino cherries perk up this pound cake-like bread. The pretty slices are rich and moist with a crisp golden crust. This is my husband's favorite bread. -Melissa Gentner, Tecumseh, Michigan
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 jars (10 ounces each) maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk just until blended (batter will be thick).
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Fold in cherries and pecans.
- 3. Transfer to four greased and floured 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and loaves are golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 4 loaves (16 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 148 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 108 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Cherry Nut Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC