Chopped pecans and maraschino cherries perk up this pound cake-like bread. The pretty slices are rich and moist with a crisp golden crust. This is my husband's favorite bread. -Melissa Gentner, Tecumseh, Michigan
Recommended: 31 Easy Quick Bread Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 jars (10 ounces each) maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk just until blended (batter will be thick).
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Fold in cherries and pecans.
- Transfer to four greased and floured 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and loaves are golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 4 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Cherry Nut Bread in Taste of Home December/January 2003, p39
Reviews forCherry Nut Bread
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 24, 2009
"These make wonderful Christmas gifts!Every one loves them!"