Cherry Nectarine Upside-Down Cake Recipe
Here in sunny southern California, we have many types of fruit growling in our yard, which makes this spectacular-looking dessert all the more fun.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:6-8 servings
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup pitted sweet cherries
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled fresh nectarines
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons almonds, toasted and ground
- 1. Melt 1 tablespoon butter; pour into a 9-in. round baking pan; sprinkle with brown sugar. Place a few cherries in center and arrange remaining cherries around edge of pan. Toss nectarines with lemon juice. Arrange nectarines in a circular pattern over sugar, overlapping slices; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in almonds. Spoon over fruit.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of pan; invert cake onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 291 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 273 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC