Cherry Nectarine Upside-Down Cake Recipe
Here in sunny southern California, we have many types of fruit growling in our yard, which makes this spectacular-looking dessert all the more fun.
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup pitted sweet cherries
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled fresh nectarines
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons almonds, toasted and ground
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter; pour into a 9-in. round baking pan; sprinkle with brown sugar. Place a few cherries in center and arrange remaining cherries around edge of pan. Toss nectarines with lemon juice. Arrange nectarines in a circular pattern over sugar, overlapping slices; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in almonds. Spoon over fruit.
- Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of pan; invert cake onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Nectarine Upside-Down Cake in Country August/September 2005, p51
Reviews for Cherry Nectarine Upside-Down Cake(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 28, 2012
This is wonderful! Super easy - 2 nectarines and a handful of cherries. Cake is sweet and moist. I omitted the almonds and never missed them. It was done in 30 minutes so check early!