- 5 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup pitted sweet cherries
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled fresh nectarines
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons almonds, toasted and ground
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter; pour into a 9-in. round baking pan; sprinkle with brown sugar. Place a few cherries in center and arrange remaining cherries around edge of pan. Toss nectarines with lemon juice. Arrange nectarines in a circular pattern over sugar, overlapping slices; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in almonds. Spoon over fruit.
- Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of pan; invert cake onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Nectarine Upside-Down Cake in Country August/September 2005, p51
Reviews for Cherry Nectarine Upside-Down Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 28, 2012
"This is wonderful! Super easy - 2 nectarines and a handful of cherries. Cake is sweet and moist. I omitted the almonds and never missed them. It was done in 30 minutes so check early!"