Cherry Mocha Balls
My mother-in-law gave me this recipe before my wedding (six children ago!). I've made mocha balls nearly every Christmas since then. Because they freeze so well, I bake some early and put them away to call on as last-minute holiday treats. —Jeana Crowell, Whitewater, KS
72 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup chopped red candied cherries
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat
- in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, coffee granules and
- salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in pecans and
- cherries. If necessary, cover and refrigerate dough until firm
- enough to shape.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; place 2 in.
- apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 15 minutes or until cookies
- are set. Cool completely on wire racks. Dust with confectioners'
- sugar. Yield: about 6 dozen.