Cherry Meringue Pie Recipe
My mother always made cherry pie with a meringue topping— and I think her mother did, too. It's a nice way to finish off a holiday dinner or everyday meal.
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a small saucepan, heat pie filling on low. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form.
- 2. Remove pie filling from the heat; stir in extract. Pour into pastry shell. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Chill for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 258 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 134 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC