- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small saucepan, heat pie filling on low. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Remove pie filling from the heat; stir in extract. Pour into pastry shell. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Chill for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Meringue Pie in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2002, p28
Reviews for Cherry Meringue Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 19, 2011
"Shockingly delicious and so simple. We will be having this again."
Reviewed Jan. 22, 2010
"A cherry pie different from all the ones I've ever had - it is delicious. But I almost feel guilty to serve it because it's so easy!"