Cherry Meringue Dessert Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 2. Spoon meringue onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Using the back of a spoon, form meringue into a 9-in. heart shape, building up edges slightly.
- 3. Bake at 275° for 1-1/2 hours. Turn oven off and do not open door; leave meringue in oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven; cool completely.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Fold in whipped cream until mixture is well blended. To serve, place heart on a serving platter; fill with cream cheese mixture and top with pie filling. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 426 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 103 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Cherry Meringue Dessert
"Made this back when it came out in the magazine. It was fabulous and not as complicated as it looks. Want to make again!!!"
"Much easier than I thought it would be. It takes a lot of time in the oven, so plan ahead. Worth the time. It's light so we could eat with a big celebration dinner"